- Trust Services
- About Us
Six Ways to Avoid Holiday Shopping Scams
In the wake of recent data breaches, shoppers should be on high alert while purchasing their presents this holiday season.
While millions of credit and debit card transactions are conducted safely every day, it's important that you are aware of the potential for holiday scams. CB&T offers the following tips to help you keep your information safe whether shopping in the store or online:
- Monitor your account. Use the Mobile Community to keep an eye on your transactions, especially during the holidays. Notify the bank right away if there's any fraudulent activity.
- Beware of phishing scams. During the holidays, criminals will create a fake email for a deal that's too good to be true. If you click on any links within the email, you may be downloading malware onto your computer or you may be asked for payment information that could lead to fraud.
- Limit large sums of cash. Even though we've seen financial crime migrate from physical to cyber, customers should be careful not to carry around large sums of cash when shopping. If your cash is stolen, is gone for good.
- Secure your internet connection. If shopping online, make sure you do so from a password protected Wi-Fi network. Never access online banking from a public Wi-Fi network.
- Shop safely. Before making an online purchase, make sure the website uses secure technology. When you are at the checkout screen, verify that the web address begins with "https." Also, check to see if a tiny locked padlock symbol appears on the page.